job: Oxfam program officer

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Jun 1 19:09:50 CDT 2003

From:           	"A. Eisinger" <minerva at u.washington.edu>

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

Oxfam America is seeking to fill a one year position as interim Senior
Program Officer of the US Program (domestic program).  The position is
located in Boston.

We are looking for an experienced program strategist to help us design,
articulate and implement our program particularly on livelihood issues
for poor people living in rural America.   Essentially we are looking
for someone who understands the various movements that we support and
can help shape a vision for change into reality in today's "globalized"
world.   In a sense we are looking for an organizer, someone working not
at the community level but at an intra-organizational level that knows
how to help shape organizations, institutions and movements around
specific goals.

Knowledge of rural issues, particularly agriculture, would be an asset.
Good communications skills and at least 7-10 years of relevant
experience are essential.   The job description is posted soon at "Jobs
at Oxfam" at http://www.oxfamamerica.org/about/art1552.html?jobId=81

The core competencies we are seeking include:

       Master's degree in the social sciences or other relevant field or
       equivalent work experience in economic development, community
       organizing or other related fields.
       Over seven years of experience at increasing levels of
       responsibility working in the field of community development,
       grant-making or community activism, which should include program
       design and implementation.
       Excellent oral and written communication skills, with a proven
       ability to write precisely and concisely for publication, the
       general public and the internal Oxfam audience, as well as, the
       development community.
       Demonstrated experience in grant-making and grants management
       Concrete understanding of the socioeconomic, political and
       cultural issues confronting rural, low-income communities in the
       United States situated within a global context.
       Managerial experience preferred.

Information on how to apply is on the website listed above.  I would
appreciate it if you would let others know about this by posting this
announcement or circulating it on relevant list-serves.

Best wishes,

Minor

Minor Sinclair
Regional Director