welcome: language, CO and CD

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Jul 30 08:39:40 CDT 2003

[ed:  thanks to Phil and Katherine for continuing the conversation
begun by Colleen's post. And a big COMM-ORG welcome to
Katherine. Note that I have changed the subject line to reflect the
conversation.]

From: "Olson, Philip G." <OlsonP at umkc.edu>

I find the discussion below on "bringing resources" to communities
an interesting and perplexing one. I think Colleen used the word
"bring" to mean "helping to make accessible" to a community
seeking assistance. We all "bring" to groups we work with, i.e. we
carry  with us our knowledge base of resources, data, organizing
principles, experience, grant writing skills, etc.; however we learn
not to put those resources on the table without first being asked to
by the group we are working with. So the real issue is not in the
"bringing," but in the "making available" of what we can offer. PHil
Olson

**************************

From: Katherine Turner <kturner12 at rogers.com>

Hi,

I also am a new member to the list.  I work in London, Ontario in a
small non-profit housing and development organization.  I am also
the community director of a community-university research alliance
working to create change in the areas of mental health and
housing.

Everyday we struggle with the balance between community
development and community organizing.  In some cases, it is the
perceptions of others that attempt to pigeon hole us into one
category or the other - often to label us as other.

I agree language is extremely important but we are not always
good at clarifying our language.  I think, in part, that that is because
we are constantly learning more about what it is we need to say
and how we need to say it.

Katherine