query: CDCs, neighborhood associations, and students

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Jul 18 18:11:42 CDT 2003

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with your

From: "Debbie Phillips" <debbiep at frognet.net>

Hello CO list members,

A number of neighborhood associations in Athens are discussing
the possibility of joining together to work on some city-wide issues.
One of the areas that folks are interested in is the possibility of
forming a CDC to work on reclaiming some housing. Athens is
about 70% rentals, mostly to students, and some of the
neighborhoods that are currently 50-50 want to work to keep those
neighborhoods liveable for families. I know that people on this list
have a range of experiences with these kinds of issues, so I told
the group that I would ask people here to share thoughts and ideas.

What models exist for neighborhood associations working together
in this way? What experiences can people share so that we don't
have to re-create the wheel? Thank you!

Debbie Phillips
Ohio Fair Schools Campaign
94 Columbus Road
Athens Ohio 45701
740.592.2866
740.593.5451 (fax)
www.ohiofairschools.org
mailto:debbiep at frognet.net

**********************

[ed:  this is a tough one.  There has been a historical antagonism
between CDCs and neighborhood associations.  CDCs have often
been more representative of renter interests (though not usually
students) and neighborhood associations have often been more
representative of homeowners.  Getting the two to work together
can often be challenging.  If the homeowners are trying to prevent
their neighborhoods from being taken over by students, there may
be other strategies, such as passing an ordinance limiting the
number of unrelated adults that can live in a house.  Toledo passed
such an ordinance that has recently been upheld at the state
appeals court level.  If the issue is to form a brand new CDC that
will represent homeowner interests, Portland OR may be the place
to look, as the CDCs there have historically been more involved in
redeveloping homeowner housing compared to other cities. ]