query: education organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Jul 18 18:03:05 CDT 2003

[ed:  thanks to Sandy for replying to Emily's query.]

From: "John and Sandy O'Donnell" <sjod at interaccess.com>

Emily, two groups are Chicago's Leadership Co-op on Education Organizing
(awade at leadercoop.org) and the Cross City Campaign for School Reform
(www.corsscity.org), which recently produced an excellent set of materials
through its Indicators Project on Education Organizing.  Andy Wade (first
group) and Chris Brown (second group) know more about education organizing
than any people I know.

The Center for Communtiy Change also has an education organziing initiative
& produces a nice newsletter, Catalyst (www.communitychange.org).  ACORN
also organizes around school reform.

Two groups build organizing capacity around school facilities issues:
Neighborhood Capital Budget Group (contact alee at ncbg.org) and 21st Century
Education Fund in Washington DC (Mary Filardo).

Two other publications on my bookshelf: Mediratta et al.  "Organizing for
School Reform" (www.nyu.edu/iesp) and National Center for Schools and
Communities at Fordham University, "Unlocking the Schoolhouse Door:  The
Community Struggle for a Say in our Children's Education."