query: education organizing

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Jul 13 09:46:03 CDT 2003

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with your

From: "Emily C. Dreyfus" <emily at justice4all.org>

The JustChildren program is initiating a Virginia grassroots
organizing campaign on educational quality and equity issues.  I'm
collaborating with Joe Szakos, Director of the Virginia Organizing
Project, to establish a state-wide network of activists on education
reform issues. I've gotten in touch w/ some local groups who are
focussed on city-wide school reform, as well as finding information
about a few state-wide efforts.  I have a few questions that I
wondered if you could help with:

* Is there a clearinghouse, or a national group that is coordinating
support and information-sharing among state-wide/regional/city-
wide groups?

* Who has implemented effective grassroots leadership
development on educational issues?

* What social change goals have been attempted/won at the state
level?

* Which groups have built coalitions which included school and city
managers who wanted to hold the state accountable?

Any other resources or ideas would be appreciated.  FYI, at our
website below there is a wealth of self-help information for parents
and service providers.  Our handbook, "Helping You Help Your
Child" is available in Word, if anyone wants to adapt it for your
community.
-Emily Dreyfus

Emily Dreyfus,
JustChildren Community Education Coordinator
Legal Aid Justice Center
1000 Preston Avenue
Charlottesville, VA 22903
(434) 977-0553