politics of search engines

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Jul 7 15:03:11 CDT 2003

Hi COMM-ORG.

Ah, alas, the search engine fun has gone away, as I feared it
would.

In the weekend's incarnation of the "weapons of mass destruction"
*feeling lucky* search on Google you would have received what
looked like a legitimage error message saying  "these weapons of
mass destruction cannot be found."  But when you read the details
of the error message, the explanation was that "the country may be
experiencing technical difficulties" and other similar statements
dripping with irony and black humor, along with links that led you to
things like the book version of Dr. Strangelove.  All very creative.

But the fun now appears to be over.  Apologies to  those of you
who have lives and don't feel any compulsion to spend your
weekends on the Internet.

Randy
moderator/editor, COMM-ORG
randy at comm-org.utoledo.edu