query: Stories and community building

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Jul 4 18:47:50 CDT 2003

[ed:  thanks to Amy and for responding to Natasha's query.]

From: Amy Hubbard <ahubbarddc at yahoo.com>

Don't know if it's specifically what you're looking for but you might
check out Hope in the Cities in Richmond, VA
(www.hopeinthecities.org).  HIC promotes interracial dialogue and
one of their vehicles is a "walk through history" where people walk
to sites where significant historical events took place that affected
various racial and ethnic groups.  In Richmond, for example, HIC
takes people to the old Manchester Docks on the James River
where slaves arrived in Richmond to be sold.  HIC also has a six-
week dialogue program that emphasizes sharing one's personal
story around racial identity.  HIC staff argue that honest
conversation about such things is essential to healing the wounds
of racism.

Amy Hubbard