query: Stories and community building

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Jul 3 11:51:27 CDT 2003

[ed:  thanks to Mark, Charles and Nancy for such interesting

From: Mark Chupp <chupp at urban.csuohio.edu>

We have used appreciative inquiry to build community among
African American residents and white residents of a predominantly
Polish American neighborhood. Trusting relationships, a new
shared identity, and action plans all resulted from a process of
having residents sharing stories of their comfortable diverse
relationships. Diverse residents share stories in 1 on 1 interviews
and then share selected stories with the larger group assembled.
The stories transform the views of people and create close bonds
for revitalizing this disadvantaged neighborhood.

We recently held such an event between 3 small white churches
and a larger African American church in the neighborhood. After a
meal, over 60 people paired off and shared their stories. In sharing
back with the larger group, many very positive stories created the
context for planning further individual and group encounters.

Mark Chupp
____________________________________
Mark G. Chupp
Program Manager
Center for Neighborhood Development
Cleveland State University
2121 Euclid Avenue, UR 347
Cleveland, OH 44115-2105
Tel: 216-523-7568   FAX: 216-687-9277

*********************

From: Charles Heying <heyingc at pdx.edu>

Slim and Thompson (1995) Listening for a Change: Oral Testimony
and Community Development

Charles

******************************

From: "Nancy Nye" <nancynye at sover.net>

Check out the community video program of the Orton Family
Foundation
http://www.orton.org/projects/communityVideo.asp

"The Community Video Project uses the power and fun of a video
production to encourage residents to talk about the issues and
opportunities facing their communities, and the choices that can be
made regarding their future. Lights, Camera, Community Video:
Engaging Citizens in Creating a Community Documentary and
Vision. The Foundation and the American Planning Association
have co-published a new manual LIGHTS, CAMERA,
COMMUNITY VIDEO to guide communities on how to make their
own documentary videos that focus on citizen involvement."

Nancy Nye
Taftsville, Vermont