query: Stories and community building

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Jul 1 19:30:50 CDT 2003

[ed:  please feel free to copy COMM-ORG with your responses to
Natasha's query.]

From:           	Natasha Freidus <tashafr at MIT.EDU>

I'm putting together a syllabus for a graduate course on the role of
narrative in community development.

Does anyone know of good references on how story and narrative
contribute to community building/organizing/development? I'm looking
for both theory and practical examples of programs that are bringing in
story as a means to build community. There will be a section of the
course examining the role of multimedia narratives as a means to
building community, so anything on innovative approaches using various
forms of media are especially welcome.

Thank you very much,

Tasha

Natasha Freidus
Community Media Coordinator
Center for Reflective Community Practice
Department of Urban Studies and Planning
Massachussetts Institute of Technology
(617)253-2761 office
(617)293-2447 cell
http://web.mit.edu/crcp