Problems with EITC

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Jan 15 23:12:03 CST 2003

[ed:  in case you are not familiar with the issue, Doug is referring to
the Earned Income Tax Credit program.]

From:           	"Doug Hess" <DHess at frac.org>

Here are a set of articles I was on problems with usuary and the EITC. Seems like I recall some groups doing a local campaign on this.

==============

EITC AND TAX-PREPARATION FEES - VARIOUS STATES
Illinois
"Fees sap value of tax credits. Poor pay millions for quick refund loans,
study says." By Ameet Sachdev. Chicago Tribune, January 14, 2003.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/taxes/chi-0301140213jan14,0,7899771.story?coll=chi-business-hed

Rhode Island
"Report: Tax break diverted. Too many taxpayers who take advantage of the
earned income tax credit wind up handing over a big chunk of it to their
tax preparers, according to a report issued through the Annie E. Casey
Foundation." By Neil Downing. Providence Journal, January 14, 2003.
http://www.projo.com/business/content/projo_20030114_credit14a.59889.html

Maryland
"25% of city residents get earned-income tax credit. But many spend it on
fees for loans, preparing return." By Kate Shatzkin. Baltimore Sun, January
14, 2003.
http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/bal-md.tax14jan14,0,5944186.story?coll=bal-local-headlines

Texas
"Families in need urged to not waste tax credit." By Rosemary Barnes. San
Antonio Express-News, January 14, 2003.
http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=180&xlc=920279

Louisiana
"Quick returns dilute tax credit. Many pay huge fees for immediate cash."
By Bruce Alpert. New Orleans Times-Picayune, January 14, 2003.
http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/washington/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1042530924228151.xml