query: neighborhood anti-drug organizing

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Jan 10 15:46:22 CST 2003

[ed:  thanks to Gene for responding to Sharon's query (reprinted
below).]

From:	Gene Allen <gallen at UNHS.ORG>

You wrote . . .

>>I'm interested in any information, tactics, contacts, etc. on how to
most effectively and efficiently organize a smallish, urban
neighborhood to remove drug-related activity.
<<

As the sponsoring agency for the Association of Block Coalitions
(ABC) and the Weed & Seed Program in Utica, NY we have
developed a variety of strategies to fight drug-related activity.

We have 130 registered Block Associations/Neighborhood Watch
Groups in the City and over 190 groups total, throughout the
County.

Each neighborhood is somewhat different but  . . . One of the most
effective tools we have for reporting drug activity has been the use
of Hot Spot forms.  These forms can be sent to the police
anonymously, if the person is afraid of retaliation.

The forms are distributed at every neighborhood meeting, and are
available on our web site, www.thehomeownershipcenter.org under
Community Empowerment.

Individuals have the choice of filling out the forms electronically or
downloading them as a PDF file.

The electronic forms go directly to the police and to my office.  I
print out a hard copy and fax the information to the Chief of Police,
Community Policing, the Drug Task Force, the District Attorney's
Office, and the local office of the NYS Attorney General.

In addition to making them available to the neighbors, we have
also made arrangements with the local ambulance company, cable
company, power company, and the fire department to keep forms
in all their trucks so their employees can report suspected
incidences as well.

The police have come to rely on this information to target high
crime areas more effectively, and the District Attorney's in their
prosecution.

The neighbors have effectively become the eyes and ears of the
police department.  We can honestly say that every major drug
bust in our area is the result of information received from the
community in one form or another.

If you have any questions on this or any of our other activities,
please feel free to contact me.

Gene A. Allen
Communications Manager
The HomeOwenrship Center