query: neighborhood anti-drug organizing

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Jan 5 12:42:00 CST 2003

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with your

From: Sharon Martin <hearth at main.nc.us>

Greetings.

I'm interested in any information, tactics, contacts, etc. on how to
most effectively and efficiently organize a smallish, urban
neighborhood to remove drug-related activity.

We're in Asheville, NC and don't get much response from the local
police other than "We're doing all we can."  It's a low income,
predominately African-American neighborhood that has seen this
problem for nearly 12 years.  It has recently begun to escalate into
violence and last week someone was shot.

Thank you for all of your help!

In truth.
Sharon Martin, hearth at main.nc.us