query: poverty partnerships

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Nov 21 20:14:53 CST 2002

[ed:  thanks to Brian for responding to Hannah's query.  Also, as
Brian notes, Hannah is the correct person to respond to below--see
original message below.]

From: "Brian Banks" <bbanks3 at wpo.it.luc.edu>

Dear Hannah Sin,

Through the State of Illinois Governor's Office we are part of a
project "Illinois Workforce Advantage focuses on innovative place-
based community development, in 9 poor distressed Illinois
communities.  Rather than the problem-focused, RFP driven
strategy used by most state agencies that often forced community-
based organizations to make a project fit guidelines for funding for
which they have had no input and which may or may not address
the causes of distress in their neighborhoods--- IWA takes the
approach of listening to the community's assessment of priorities
and then developing projects with state agencies like Children and
Family Services and Commerce and Community Affairs working in
partnership with the community to iron out work plans and budgets.
Attached is a more detailed description of IWA and the Chicago
portion of this project which I work with.

Sincerely,
Brian L. Banks
Policy Research Action Group
PRAG