query: poverty partnerships

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Nov 19 20:12:01 CST 2002

[ed:  please respond to David by using the e-mail address below.
Feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with your responses.]

From: "David M. Chavis" <dchavis at capablecommunity.com>

Hi again!

We are working with a national foundation that is looking to  fund
and/or replicate local urban and rural partnership efforts to enhance
supportive relations among institutions and people in order to
improve the well being of low-income families and individuals.
Supportive relations can be improved relations among people
(people helping each other to improve the lives of low income
families); improved relations among people and institutions, or
improved relations among  institutions and organizations.  We are
looking for "best practices" (those that have demonstrated success)
or "promising practices" (e.g. those that build upon best practices
and the latest thinking, but haven't had time to demonstrate their
success)

Program criteria

1. Local (e.g. city or county wide, neighborhood) partnership among
multiple sectors;

2. Addresses needs of low income families and individuals;

3. Uses community assets (e.g. local residents, associations,
public, private, and informal institutions, ethnic and cultural
relations/organizations, physical and economic resources);

4. Engages community resident leaders in decision-making in
generating solutions, planning ,& monitoring solutions;

5. Addresses:

.	Mental health;

.	Safety (e.g., crime, injury;

.	Substance Abuse;

.	Early Childhood Development (Family stability/strong families,
infant death, young childhood/early intervention;

.	Educational attainment;

.	Economic Security (e.g., adequate employment); or

.	Access to health care

6. Has demonstrated success or shows potential because it builds
on prior successful work.

Our task will be to develop a directory of promising programs for
funders to review. We will collect the basic information from
nominees from their written materials or other easily accessible
sources. If we are missing anything we will follow up. We will let
you review our write ups before submission. All we are asking for is
for program whatever information you have related to these six
points and/or a contact person. We will do the rest.

Please send information on these efforts (e.g. contact persons,
web-sites, written information) as soon as possible and questions
to:

Hannah Sin- hsin at capablecommunity.com
Association for the Study and Development
312 South Frederick Ave.
Gaithersburg, MD 20877
301.519.0722 ext 104 (voice)
301.519.0724 (fax)

We will be willing to pay for overnight mail costs. Please contact
Hannah for more information

Thank you very much for whatever assistance or advice you can
provide!