query: NPOs using critical thinking with youth

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Nov 17 21:47:50 CST 2002

[ed:  thanks to Ann and Amy for responding to Matthew's query
(reprinted at the end of this message).]

From: Ann and Timothy Curry-Stevens <echobay at sympatico.ca>

I suggest that you will have most success with a project that is
contextualized in an issue about which youth are passionate. Two
such examples include the work on clothing and sweatshops (see
the Maquilladora Solidarity Network in Toronto for materials). My
second suggestion is to find the material from the anti-smoking
folks who are re-framing this from a health issue to a "corporations
are lying to you" issue, and subsequently having a much greater
impact. Both are founded on critical thinking about consumption
and the role of corporations in marketing to youth. Good luck with
your project. Ann Curry-Stevens

From: "Amy Swiatek" <amys at ncl.org>

Matthew,

I am with the National Civic League, headquartered in Denver, and
we have a very exciting project underway called "Student Voices."
NCL is the local Denver adminstrator of the national Student
Voices Program of the Annenburg Foundation.  The primary goal of
the Student Voices Project is to encourage the active civic and
political engagement of students. It is intended to increase
students' knowledge and understanding of political processes and
institutions, as well as their ability to find information and make use
of it to participate in the public sphere.

In Denver, the students (in the highschools) will be following the
mayoral election.

Here are a couple of websites to check out on the project:

project in Denver, Colorado
http://student-voices.org/modules/index.php3?CityID=9

or the national website
http://student-voices.org/

Amy L. Swiatek
Community Services, Senior Program Associate
National Civic League
1445 Market Street, Suite 300
Denver, CO 80202
Ph: (303) 571-4343