organizing opportunity: girls and schools

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Jul 30 16:12:23 CDT 2002

[ed:  thanks to Amy and Janey for the thoughts on Doug's July 28
message.]

From: "Amy Swiatek" <amys at ncl.org>

You might also want to check out what the Bush Administration
aims to do by "opening" up Title IX for review.  I received an e-mail
on it from Working Assets as an alert - for the intent is to go back
on Title IX -- which would be a huge mistake.

***************************

From: "Janey Skinner" <janeyskinner at mindspring.com>

Actually, there has been quite an assault on Title IX from the right
wing. A lot of press spin - look for articles bemoaning how wrestling
teams are being disbanded by schools afraid of lawsuits, since girls
just "naturally" aren't as interested in sports as boys are.  (You won't
hear mention of the economic drain that the big-name sports like
basketball and football are on schools and colleges athletics
budgets.)  So I would be especially excited to hear about
progressive organizing efforts to defend Title IX and to use it to
leverage for greater equity in athletics for girls.

Janey Skinner
Oakland, CA