New Software Program Available from OC!

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Jul 29 08:42:01 CDT 2002

[ed:  this one looks like it could be useful for me!]

From:    <oc at organizenow.net>

                         July 23, 2002

Dear Friends:

The developers of Organizers' Database not only released
another version of the ODB software last week.  They also
put the final touches on ANOTHER free software program
for Windows, also geared to the needs of activists and
small nonprofits!

Today, we are proud to announce the release of eWrapper,
version 1.0.  eWrapper takes about 30 seconds to learn
and, like ODB, it is completely free of charge (funded
entirely by donations to our free software fund).

What is eWrapper?  It is a tool for cleaning up text or
articles before you send them out out via email.  So if
your email messages end up unreadable to many of the people
you try to send them to, eWrapper will fix the problem.
OC's intern Michael Suarez was the main developer of
eWrapper; we delayed the release for a while to make it
easy to install.  Now that this is done, we would like
you to try it!

So, if the article you want to copy and send out on your
email list looks like this...

Winners and losers on a day that took investors from
                                  way down to even
                                  and back down again.

July 22, 2002: 5:58 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Stock prices tumbled yet again
Monday
                                as concerns about Citigroup's
                            Enron connections and poor quarterly
                                results from BellSouth added
                                to insecurity.

The Dow Jones industrial average tumbled 234.68 to 7,784.58; it
was
                            down more than 300 points
                            earlier in the session.

The Nasdaq composite index lost 36.50 to 1,282.65. The Standard
&
                            Poor's 500 index declined 27.90 to 819.85.

... you can use this nifty tool (it takes about 5 seconds) to
strip out the wierd formatting and make it look like this:

Winners and losers on a day that took investors from way
down to even and back down again.

July 22, 2002: 5:58 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Stock prices tumbled yet again
Monday
as concerns about Citigroup's Enron connections and poor
quarterly results from BellSouth added to insecurity.

The Dow Jones industrial average tumbled 234.68 to 7,784.58;
it was down more than 300 points earlier in the session.

The Nasdaq composite index lost 36.50 to 1,282.65. The
Standard & Poor's 500 index declined 27.90 to 819.85.
________________

This email may contain copyrighted material, the use of
which has not always been specifically authorized by the
copyright owner.  I am making thismaterial available in our
efforts to advance understanding of environmental,
political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific,
and social issues.  I believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section
107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17
U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed
without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest
in receiving the included information for research and
educational purposes.  For more information, see:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html.  If you wish
to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes that
go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
copyright owner.

This messaged wrapped with eWrapper 1.0, a free utility for
Windows.  See http://organizenow.net/ewrapper.

And as you can see above, eWrapper optionally will add a
"fair use" notice to what you copy, to give you legal
protection in case you are planning to send an article to
more than a few people in your address book!

The download location for eWrapper is:

http://organizenow.net/ewrapper

Once you download the setup program, just run it, click
on "Next" twice, and you are done!  Please let us know if
anything does not work as advertised.

And thanks in advance for helping us to spread the word.

-Estelle, Kyla, Marissa, and Rich
  Organizers' Collaborative
  P.O. Box 400897
  Cambridge, MA  02140
  http://organizenow.net

p.s. This page:  http://organizenow.net/donate-e.html  is
now accepting monetary gifts to OC's new free software fund!

p.p.s.  Regarding last week's new release of the Organizers'
Database software, here's some important information:

** ODB 0.8.9 Release Information (release date 7/17/02) **

1) Release Notes for ODB version 0.8.9 are posted at:
    http://organizenow.net/odb/relnotes.html

2) Query Tutorial Available.  We just posted an advanced
    3-page guide to writing SQL queries in ODB version
    0.8.9 at the new ODB home page, www.organizersdb.org.

3) When you upgrade to version 0.8.9, we strongly recommend that
    you go to the settings screen and download the zip code file
    again.  The new zip code file is just 60% of the size of the
    the old one, yet it is much more up to date and even includes
    information needed for a future GIS feature in ODB.

Organizers' Collaborative       Box 400897, Cambridge, MA  02140
oc at organizenow.net              http://organizenow.net/join.html
(617) 426-1228 x108, m-f 9:00-5:30

| Using technology to enhance grassroots organizing, research, & |
| movement building by organizations working for social change   |