query: profiles of organizers

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Jul 24 16:46:37 CDT 2002

[ed:  thanks to Lisa and Sarah and Margo for replying to Joe's
query.]

From: "Lisa J. Marshall" <lisa at smartworkco.com>

Joe,

There's a good interview with Ernie Cortes in the second Bill Moyers
interview collection (I don't have it with me, so I can't give you the
exact name.)

Lisa Marshall

"Preparing for the Best"
The Smart Work Company
1365 Hamilton Street NW
Washington, DC 20011
202 829-0795 f: 202 829-5324
http://www.smartworkco.com
lisa at smartworkco.com

****************************

From: "Sarah Diehl" <skd1976 at hotmail.com>

Hey Joe Szakos,

There's a book which is probably not exactly what you are looking
for, but which may help:  It's been a little while since I've looked at
this, but as memory serves, it is a compilation of interviews with
people
who started organizations, some community-based, others issue-
based like
D.A.R.E.  Here's the reference: Berkowitz, Bill. 1987. Local Heroes.
Lexington, MA: Lexington Books.

Good luck!
Sincerely,
Sarah Diehl

**********************

From: "Margo Menconi" <malyme at hotmail.com>

There is a really wonderful magazine called Changemakers
(http://www.changemakers.net/) that I highly recommend.  These
are examples from around the world.  Really great stuff! Margo
Menconi

Margo Menconi
4612 Spruce Street * Philadelphia, PA 19139 * USA
Phone: (215) 474-8017
E-mail:  malyme at hotmail.com
"War is an instrument entirely insufficient toward redressing wrong;
and
multiplies, instead of indemnifying losses." Thomas Jefferson
(1743-1826)