query: accountability sessions

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Jul 23 14:42:01 CDT 2002

[ed:  Doug is responding to Sarah's July 19 post.]

From: "Doug Hess" <DHess at frac.org>

Sarah mentioned pending research on organizing tactics which she
defined as confrontational vs more consensus-oriented.

I think it can be useful in theory for discussing tools to have this
dichotomy, but more useful still would be a study of how
organizations manage the complexity of when to use the various
tactics they have. Portraying sophosticated organizations as being
on or the other side of the line is not covering the reality. Also, since
organizing schools often organize different people, even though
they claim the same, it would be heard to compare responses.

Having said that, it would be interesting to see what the experiences
of members are while participating in organizing drives and
campaigns. That would be truly original. I would love to see more
ethnographic research on new and long-time community leaders, as
well as those who dropped out and the regular folks who show up
now and then.