(Fwd) [Announce] build youthbuild

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sat Jul 20 12:42:01 CDT 2002

[ed:  this is also posted on the COMM-ORG Announcements page.]

From: "Hickson, Holly" <HHickson at midsouthcc.edu>

Hello!  I am requesting some help from Comm-org in increasing the
YouthBuild (HUD) budget this hear.

A chance to mark up the budget is coming before Senators Barbara
Mikulski and Kit Bond this week.  Let me give you the easiesst way
to help, and then below that will be background information if you
are unfamiliar with the YouthBuild program and the movement, a
part of a genuine attempt to "Leave no Child Behind"

To help, click on the following link:

       http://www.youthbuild.org/YBMain.html

Feel free to browse the site.  When you are ready to act,

*	click the block for "contact your legislator".

*	click on the urgent letter to Senate Appropriations
Committee block.

*	By entering your information and clicking "edit", you can
add your personal sentiments as a paragraph of the draft letter.

*	Once you have reviewed and edited, push send e-mail, and
it will be sent with your personal address and closing already
included.

*	I would appreciate a re;ly to me (just say DONE) in the
body, if you like so that we might track how useful this might be.

Thank you so much !

Holly Hickson, Ph.D. Youthbuild Crittenden County, Arkansas

YouthBuild, located in 160 communities across the country, affords
high school dropouts a second chance (last chance?) to acquire
lifeskills, construction training, and the GED while building homes
for low-income residents of their own communities.  Students are
paid a stipend while in training and while on the job site.  There is a
strong emphasis on community leadership, participatory
democracy, and lifelong learning.  Dorothy Stoneman started
YouthBuild in Harlem 25 years ago.  About 50% of Youthbuild sites
are federally funded.  Many sites have expanded to include
computer training, charter schools, and reaching out to ajudicated
and incarcerated youth in their programs.