new COMM-ORG paper: local governance

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Jul 19 16:15:53 CDT 2002

[ed:  thanks to Charles for the comments on Moshe's paper.]

From: Charles Heying <heyingc at pdx.edu>

Thanks to Moshe ben Asher for his fine paper on LA governance.  I
have alerted an organizer/friend in LA to read it. When the charter
movement was in its initial stages, various folks looked to Portland
for a model on neighborhood based governance. While our system
is flawed and has received legitimate criticism, it is a workable
model that does empower citizens, is accessible, and does have
important input into planning and public safety issues in
neighborhoods.

Now that the LA secession movement is picking up steam, perhaps
Portland again provides a model that would have some resonance
with the author's suggestion for a two-tiered metropolitan
government, with the caveat that what Portland has is a three tier
government, neighborhood, city, and our elected metropolitan
government, METRO.  Portland seems to be making it work, but
even here, the system is under constant threat from forces that are
perhaps similar to those pushing the secession movement in LA.

Charles Heying, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Urban Studies and Planning
Portland State University