query: community-university partnerships

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Jul 18 08:12:01 CDT 2002

[ed:  please respond to Joshua using the e-mail address below to
suggest groups for this project.]

From: Joshua Abrams <jna8 at cornell.edu>

All,

The Department of City and Regional Planning at Cornell University
is embarking on an ambitious research project to help strengthen
university-community partnerships and capacity-building efforts,
including the training of a new generation of leaders for community
based organizations (CBOs). We are writing in hopes that you have
ideas to help tailor this program so it provides maximum benefit for
those organizations. To initiate our research effort, we are compiling
a list of university-based applied research and technical assistance
initiatives that focus on capacity building of CBOs engaged in local
economic and community development. Specifically, we are
interested in initiatives that are using participatory, bottom-up,
grassroots methods. We hope to identify and profile schools that
are doing exemplary work, drawing upon their experiences to define
principles of best practice as well as challenges and opportunities
for the future. This information will help shape new initiatives aimed
at improving the effectiveness of university-based technical
assistance efforts and strengthen the role of universities in training
a new crop of leaders for these organizations. We are hoping you
have suggestions about university-based initiatives that fit these
criteria:

1)      They provide technical assistance to CBOs

2)      They are focused on CBOs engaged in local economic and
community development

3)      They use participatory methods as a core strategy for
engaging community members and strengthening the organizational
capacity of CBOs

We would be grateful if you could pass along names and any
contact information you might have for initiatives that you think
meet these criteria by July 22nd.

If you have questions or would like more information, please do not
hesitate to ask. Thank you in advance for your time. We look
forward to sharing our initial results with you in the near future.

Sincerely,
Kenneth M. Reardon      Joshua Abrams   David Driskell
Associate Professor     MRP Candidate   Visiting Scholar
(607) 254-5375          (607) 255-9156  (607) 257-4244
kmr22 at cornell.edu       jna8 at cornell.edu        dd96 at cornell.edu