query: good recruiters

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Jul 16 16:12:01 CDT 2002

[ed:  thanks to Gene for continuing the discussion on recruitment.]

From: Gene Allen <gallen at UNHS.ORG>

Paul

I am not a psychologist or a sociologist, but my experience has
been the best recruiters are people who have served the public or
worked with the public in other ways, i.e. sales persons,
waiters/waitresses, public relations/marketing professionals etc.
(They usually make the best fund raisers as well.)

Think about it.  What makes you want to give someone a better tip?
Why did you buy that car, house or pair of shoes? Why did you just
give that panhandler $5?

The smile, the friendly hello, eye contact, sincerity, knowing your
merchandise (subject matter) projecting confidence and being
passionate about what you are doing.  You can see it in the eyes
and hear it in the voice

These are all characteristics of a good recruiter.  Yes some of these
techniques can be taught.  In a former life I was the manager of a
shoe store and had to hire new salesman and then teach them how
to meet, greet and seat the customers.

Some got the basics, but the best ones showed sincerity and
passion.  That is something you can't teach.

:~)
GAA