wanted: CBO reactions to participatory research

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Jul 16 12:12:01 CDT 2002

[ed:  this request comes from colleagues of mine at Temple
University in Philadelphia.  Please use the contact information
below to respond to them.]

From:	"T.L Hill" <thill at surfer.sbm.temple.edu>

Barbara Ferman and I have been offered the opportunity to write an
article for the Journal of Urban Affairs about community leaders'
experience of working with universities doing community based
research.  We thought we could use this opportunity both to write
something that might help others get involved in community based
research and to step back, listen, and learn something about how
we might improve the our own efforts doing this sort of work in
Philadelphia.

To facilitate this, could you introduce us to one or more community
partners who might be willing to talk with us about what has worked
well and not so well, about the impact of the the university/college
partnership on their organization, and about how that partnership
might become even more productive.  Once you made the
introduction, we would ask your community partner whether they
could take 45 minutes to have a conversation about the topics
outlined in the attached proposal.  We would take detailed notes
and send copies to them for their correction and comment.  And as
always with this kind of thing, Barbara and I will keep confidential all
the information your partners share confidential and do our best to
protect them, their organization's and your institution's anonymity.
We will also, of course, send 'round a draft of the article closer to
publication.

Thanks in advance for helping us make these connections.  We
hope that these interviews and article will help strengthen all of our
efforts to do community based research effectively.

TL Hill
Assistant Professor, General and Strategic Management
Innovation & Entrepreneurship Institute
Associate Director, Community Development
University Community Collaborative of Philadelphia
Fox School of Business
Temple University
1810 N 13 Street
Philadelphia, PA 19122-6083