query: good recruiters

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Jul 12 08:46:43 CDT 2002

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with your

From: Paul Gowder <pgowder at yahoo.com>

Hi folks -- I've been wondering, in your
organizations, is there a type of person/specific
personality (or other) characteristics that seems to
be good at recruiting people?  Whether to become
members of an organization, or to participate in an
action, or just to do some needed task.

I ask this because I notice, more and more, that there
are specific people who have substantially more
success, even when all other sorts of factors are
accounted for (training, reltionship with community in
question, etc. etc.), in recruiting people to do and
become involved in things.

And if those characteristics can be isolated, maybe
they can be taught...

Any takers?

-Paul

=====
Paul Gowder (pgowder at yahoo.com)
Staff Attorney
Oregon Law Center
2449 SW 4th Ave., Ste. 208
Ontario, OR 97914
vox: 541-889-3121, fax: 541-889-5562
SI SE PUEDE!

******************************

[ed:  my experience working with organizers and trying to
understand what they do as an outsider, is that there are an
amazing variety of styles. And they all seem to have different
success rates for different people. One of the best recruiting stories
I've heard of is the "silent" recruiter who would say almost nothing
during an initial doorknock and just let people work themselves up
about the issues in the community until they were ready to fight.
Others use the hard sell.  Others do relationship-building.  It may
not be that there is one recruiting style that works best but, like
clothing, different things fit different people.]