query: Alinsky and public policy today

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Jul 10 08:43:13 CDT 2002

[ed:  thanks to Doug for replying to Leslie's query.]

From:	"Doug Hess" <DHess at frac.org>

Couple of points:

1) While the "relational organizing" development has been well
documented and resourced, the development of community
organizing's ability to take on new forms of contention has not
always received the same amount of coverage (at least in more
academic circles and in the sparse evaluation lit on organizing,
which I fear might influence funders).

Here are just a few arenas of contention that I don't think existed in
"old" organizing, but does now exist in some networks, or quasi-
organizing support networks: a) network-controlled community
institutuions: charter schools, CDCs, loan counselling services, land
trusts, etc. b) local governance entities (like B.I.D.'s, some even
collect income from a specially levied tax) c) systematically pushing
candidates for office, forming local PACs, and/or political coalitions
(in some part driven by the success of the christian-right in this
arena in the 1980s) d) ballot initiatives e) finally: while many
networks avoid policy details, many others have hired staff in
Washington or state capital's to become leaders in a policy arena, a
la traditional interest group behavior.

I think the importance of these developments can not be overstated.
(And very little of it fits under, or is explained by, the "relational
power vs power over" debates.)

2) I think it is important for people to see that the "Alinsky"
comparison can be overdrawn. There was excellent organizing in
the country before Alinksy, and contemporary to him, and some
models draw on these areas. Constant referrals, mea culpa here, to
him belittle the breadth and depth of what is going on/possible in
organizing.

Doug Hess
Senior Policy Analyst
Food Research and Action Center