query: today's organizer training

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Jul 8 20:12:03 CDT 2002

[ed:  thanks to James for responding to Lisa's query.  More are
welcome.]

From: James Whelan <James.Whelan at mailbox.gu.edu.au>

Hi Lisa (and Comm-Org folk)

Re Organiser Training, there are some interesting examples in the
US. The
Midwest Academy's five day trainings held in several locations each
year
(easily located on the web) offer a great foundation, and have the
benefit
of their "organising for social change" text.  The Highlander Centre
just
outside Knoxville offers a range of brilliant retreats and workshops
for
organisers of various orientations - environmentalists, social justice
workers, unionists - and has done since the   1920s. Steve Chase
offers a
graduate program at Antioch New England. I will be piloting a one-
semester
program for environmental advocates (offered at Grad Cert and
Masters
levels) through the Faculty  of Environmental Science at Griffith
University from February 2003 (available on-line).

I would be glad to exchange reference lists.

James