New COMM-ORG Paper

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Jul 5 14:42:01 CDT 2002

Hi COMM-ORG.  Your humble moderator/editor here.  Have you
ever wondered if community organizing really does any good?
Well, I am very pleased to announce a new addition to the COMM-
ORG papers series:

Organizing for Change: Stories of Success

by Judy Hertz

You can find the paper linked from the COMM-ORG "Papers" page:

http://comm-org.utoledo.edu/papers.htm

or directly at:

http://comm-org.utoledo.edu/papers2002/hertz/home.htm

Here is Judy's introduction to the paper:

"I am especially interested to receive feedback on this set of stories,
because I am planning to revise them and add to them for further
publication (a book).  I would particularly like to hear from people
who think this might be useful for students, leaders, and newer
organizers (or anyone else!).  Or, equally important, what I could do
to make these more useful as I revise them."

"The foundations who paid for this were interested in persuading
other foundations to fund organizing.  I was thinking of leaders who
need to know some history and some success stories beyond their
own neighborhood/organization/network.  I also had in mind the
student interns I work with, many of whom have either no idea or
very vague ideas about community organizing before I recruit them
and throw them into the fray."

"The pieces were written as lively stories, not academic analysis.
But as an organizer and trainer, I wanted to put in enough about the
process for the stories to be instructive as well as motivational.  The
predatory lending piece in particular seemed to lend itself to this,
since so many different organizations with different organizing
approaches were involved."

"Any feedback will be appreciated.  Either Jane Beckett (from the
New Prospect Foundation) or I will be glad to send you out a free
copy of the printed version if you contact us (Jane can be reached
at jane100000 at aol.com)."

Judy Hertz
jtwodtwo at aol.com or midwestacademy5 at aol.com