query: today's organizer training

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Jul 5 12:14:48 CDT 2002

[ed:  here is aqnother interesting query comparing the past and
present of organizing.  Please copy COMM-ORG with your

From: "Lisa Marshall" <lisa at smartworkco.com>

I'm writing a book about leadership (and story).  Having been an
organizer decades ago, I need to check my recollection of
messages about the organizer's role as having to check one's ego
at the door, consistently give other (local) people credit for whatever
gets accomplished, be in conversation constantly with a wide
variety of folks, hold the big story about what needs to happen and
invite others to play the key roles in making it happen.  Which
happens to be a pretty good description of what I think is being
asked of leaders these days.

So two questions: is this an accurate assessment of what organizers
are (still) taught?  Are there any specific curriculums anywhere I
could reference?

Thanks,
Lisa