query: Alinsky and public policy today

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Jul 4 09:14:19 CDT 2002

[ed:  thanks to Mark for the reply to Leslie's query.  More from me
below.]

From: WARREN at FORDHAM.EDU

Dear Leslie Ramyk,

In your COMM-ORG message, you ask about the evolution of
Alinskyite organizing. I spent many years studying IAF organizing in
Texas and Southwest where Alinsky's methods have been
transformed in many significant ways. At the risk of caricaturing
Alinsky by being so brief, here are a few of the most important
developments as I see them:

1. IAF organizing today reaches more deeply into member
institutions, like churches, to draw out the leadership of lay
members. Alinsky looked more to amassing institutions by tapping
the resources (money, people) controlled by ministers and other
established leaders. The focus of the organizing today is much
more about relationship-building ("relational organizing") and
leadership development. This provides IAF organizations with a
much broader and larger base of leadership, now more typically
women.

2. Unlike Alinsky, IAF organizing today takes religious traditions
seriously, grounding its work in faith values, looking to religious
stories for inspiration and guidance. Organizing today combines
interests and values, which helps to sustain organizations over the
long run.

3. The IAF is much more committed to building broad-based
organizations than Alinsky - organizations that are diverse racially,
economically and religiously. The organizations typically cover
metropolitan areas (rather than neighborhoods) and attempt to
network at state and regional levels. This gives the organizations a
broader base of power and the ability to attempt much more
ambitious and complex policy initiatives - like Project QUEST (an
innovative job training program) in San Antonio, or the Alliance
Schools (a state-wide initiative to transform over 100 low achieving
schools through parent and community organizing).

I trace the development of IAF organizing (covering these and other
changes) in the book I wrote on the Texas/Southwest IAF, Dry
Bones Rattling: Community Building to Revitalize American
Democracy ( http://pup.princeton.edu/titles/7091.html). Several
other organizing networks follow a similar approach today: Richard
Wood and I wrote a report on what the field of faith-based
community organizinglooks like, available as a COMM-ORG
working paper (http://comm_org.utoledo.edu/papers2001/faith/ ).

Hope this is helpful.

Best,
Mark R. Warren

[ed:  also thanks to Mark for mentioning his COMM-ORG paper.
There are a number of COMM-ORG papers that might be of interest
on this topic, available at

http://comm-org.utoledo.edu/papers.htm

as well as writings from other sources available at

http://comm-org.utoledo.edu/readings.htm. ]