query: shopping and public transport

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Jul 3 21:15:03 CDT 2002

[ed:  thanks to Larry for responding to Sharon's query.]

From: Larry Yates <lyates at chej.org>

These folks in Asheville are asking a question we frequently get
from groups around the nation. While every community is different,
this answer reflects the basic principles that we have seen succeed
for hundreds of communities:

You can't "prove" that this loop, or the whole development, is a bad
idea. The developers can hire all the appropriate professionals they
need to say that the project is the greatest thing since sliced bread,
and thus draw you into a battle of "dueling experts" that will never
be resolved on anything from traffic counts to toxic runoff.

What you can do, though, is assemble a few basic common sense
arguments against this loop idea and mobilize your community
behind them. Of course, you need information, possibly including
information from Comm-Org folks about how such a project went
wrong in their community. But you will be making reasonable
arguments, not scientifically provable assertions. Test these
arguments out on some average folks in your community, and then
put them onto a non-wordy flyer, and hit the streets with your
message. (Don't limit yourself to arguments that the local
government is legally allowed to consider; use the arguments that
mean the most to people in your community.)

Some arguments that might work in this case: - promises of public
transit and sufficient parking will be broken once the project is built -
the taxpayers shouldn't have to subsidize commercial development
- flooding and contamination will increase on the River - transit loop
will not decrease impact of delivery trucks - Wal-Mart is inconsistent
with the character of your town

The decisions about this loop, and about this whole development,
are political decisions. On the one side, there is a small group of
people who stand to make a lot of money, and who are connected
in various ways to the local power structure of politicians, banks, the
media, etc. On the other side are the people you can motivate by
face to face organizing to take action against the project, using yard
signs, letters to the editor, house meetings, art auctions, contacts
with the politicians who will make the decision, press events, web
sites, rallies, chicken suits, and showing up at the hearing in
matching T-shirts -- the whole range of democratic grassroots
action.

The issue will not be decided on evidence. If government was
naturally even-handed and fair in making these decisions, we
wouldn't have had Love Canal, and we probably would have very
few Wal-Marts. The decision will be based on which side the
political decision-makers feel the most pressure from.

Larry Yates