job: organizer

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Jul 3 21:12:00 CDT 2002

[ed:  this job post includes salary info.]

From:	"Ilana Berger" <ilanalee at hotmail.com>
Lead Organizer

FUREE (Families United for Racial and Economic Equality) |
Brooklyn, NY

NY. We began as a project of the Fifth Avenue Committee, and in
the next year will be working to become an independent
organization. We are looking for a Lead Organizer, to help us in the
transition and to build the strength and capacity of our staff, leaders
and members.

Because FUREE is a relatively new organization, the position offers
tremendous potential for growth and autonomy. We are looking for
someone who has experience in creating and implementing basic
systems for organizing, but also who is creative and is interested in
bringing new ideas and methods to our work.

FUREE is a multi-racial, woman-led membership organization in
Brooklyn, New York. The majority of our members receive public
assistance, and are almost exclusively women of color. We are
uniting low-income people to build power to change the system so
that all people's work is valued and all of us have the right and
economic means to decide and live out our own destinies. We
accomplish our goals through collective decision-making, direct
action, leadership development and political education.

We are currently involved in both local and national welfare rights
campaigns. Through this work we are also building the political
vision and analysis of our members.

Responsibilities include:

1) Membership Recruitment and Development Developing and
implementing systems for recruitment and retention, identifying
potential and emerging leaders, developing leadership development
programs and plans for current and potential leaders, work with
director and other staff and leaders to build a larger political vision
into our on-the-ground organizing; develop curriculum and facilitate
workshops and other activities, incorporate other NYC, national and
international organizing and activism into FUREE’s work

2) Campaign strategy and development Working with other staff
and membership campaign committees to design campaigns,
develop and expand membership campaign committees and
members’ leadership in these committees, research handles,
organize direct actions, coordinate media work, work with allies

3) Fundraising Foundation prospecting and grant writing and
reporting, grassroots fundraising, developing membership
participation in fundraising activities

4) Organizational and Staff Development Supervise and train
organizing staff as requested, identify and develop potential board
members, develop leadership of current board members, work with
director on projects to strengthen and build long-term structures of
organization, actively participate and create opportunities for own
growth and development

Desired Qualifications At least two years experience as an
organizer in grassroots, multi-racial direct action organizing (5+
years preferred,) Strong commitment to struggle for social and
economic justice and to FUREE's mission, ability to communicate,
motivate and listen, ability and willingness to work independently as
well as with a team. Demonstrated experience in supervision and in
effective campaign development and implementation, ability to
travel periodically, ability and willingness to works evenings and
weekends as necessary, computer literate (PC), ability to speak
Spanish a STRONG plus

Women, people of color and immigrants are strongly encouraged to
apply. FUREE is a positive, women-led, fun and supportive work
environment.

Starting salary $30-35,000 depending on experience. Includes
health, dental and paid vacation and sick days. Great opportunities
for growth, development and leadership.

To Respond:

To respond Send resume and a cover letter explaining why
you’re interested in this position to Ilana Berger, FUREE, 141
Fifth Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11217, iberger at fifthave.org, or
fax to (718) 857-4322 and put