query: Alinsky and public policy today

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Jul 1 20:46:05 CDT 2002

[ed:  a big COMM-ORG welcome to Leslie, who is number 858 on
the list and hopefully not the last to join the party.  Leslie offers us
the chance to discuss models and methods of organizing.]

From: "Leslie A. Ramyk" <ccbi at core.com>

While I fear I'm the last to join the party, I'm glad I finally made it!

I am thrilled to have found this resource.  I am the director of the
Chicago Community Organizing Capacity Building Initiative (CCBI)
in Chicago, Illinois.  We are a project of the Ford Foundation, one of
three sites nationally to engage in capacity building with community
organizing groups across the country.

I'm working with twelve local organizing groups (including IAF,
Gamaliel, ACORN, NTIC/NPA, COFI and Midwest Academy
affiliates) to increase their capacity to create bigger and better
social change.  Please don't ask me to define these terms yet--
unless this is your passion, in which case I'd be delighted.

In addition to Ford we also have eight local partnering foundations
participating, including MacArthur, Woods, Wieboldt, the Chicago
Foundation for Women and the Chicago Community Trust.

I am especially interested in the evolution of Alinsky-style
organizing, as most of the groups I work with are fairly orthodox in
their approach to organizing.  I am also interested in the
'intersection' of public policy advocacy work and community
organizing/grassroots participation.

Leslie

Leslie A. Ramyk
Director
Chicago Community Organizing Capacity Building Initiative (CCBI)
53 W. Jackson Blvd. Suite 838
Chicago, IL  60604
312-786-9377, ext. 3
Fax:  312-786-9232