query: shopping and public transport

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Jul 1 20:44:03 CDT 2002

[ed:  here is an interesting one.  Please feel welcomed to discuss
on-list.]

From: Sharon Martin <hearth at main.nc.us>

Greetings.

I'm currently working with a grassroots group in Asheville, NC to
stop a major retail development (with a Wal-Mart Supercenter and
nearly 45 acres of impervious surface) adjacent to the Swannanoa
River.  Traffic is one of the major hurdles this development faces.
Our city has requested that they mitigate traffic by widening a state
road that is one of the major arteries to the site.  The developers
have balked and responded with the following solution:

A public transit "shoppers loop" from their development to a nearby
Target, K-Mart, and our local Mall.  They have said that our local
rep. Charles Taylor (called "Chainsaw Charlie" by local forest
advocates) is promising public funding (federal?) for the project.

We are interested in proving that this "shoppers loop" is NOT a
feasible option--for various reasons.  Please send any leads,
concrete information, or clarifying questions directly to me.  This
proposal will be coming back before our city council on July 23rd
and we will need all of our evidence together prior to that meeting.

Many, many thanks!

In truth,
Sharon Martin
hearth at main.nc.us