query: local currencies

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Dec 25 22:47:08 CST 2002

[ed:  thanks to Richard for the quick reply to James' query,
reprinted below.]

From: "Richard Schultz" <rschultz at gis.net>

A lot of people share this interest in the potential of Local
Currencies to increase local control over economic development.
In addition to LETS, there are Time Dollars, Ithaca Hours, and
many other models. Internationally, there are hundreds (perhaps
thousands) of local currency programs; it's much bigger than a
"white middle class thing".  Some internet links of interest are:

A variety of relevant links are at
<http://www.greenmac.com/hours/*links.html>; also,
http://www.lightlink.com/hours/ithacahours/

The E. F. Schumacher Society has information at <
http://www.schumachersociety.org/frameset_local_currencies.html
>;

The Time Dollar Institute web page is
at.<http://www.timedollar.org/>;

You can reach the New Economics Foundation in England at
http://www.neweconomics.org/.  They use the term Time Banks,
rather than Time Dollars.

For information and links to various LETS programs:
http://www.earthlink.com.au/lets/letslinks.html

One of the best books on community currencies is: Bernard Lietaer
(2001) "The Future of Money: creating new wealth, work and a
wiser world", Century, London, 371pp; ISBN 0-7126-8399-2.  His
web site is at http://www.transaction.net/

There is an on-line journal: International Journal of Community
Currency Research.  Also, there are dozens of e-mail groups.

Hope this is helpful. Richard Schultz