query: local currencies

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Dec 25 11:43:59 CST 2002

[ed:  We have had occasional discussions about community-based
currencies.  James offers us the opportunity to update the
discussion.]

From:  James DeFilippis <jdefilippis at CSSNY.ORG>

I have recently become interested in LETS, but haven't seen any
good data on who is involved and I have this nagging suspician
that it's a middle class white person thing (which would make me
less interested in it).  Does anyone have any information on this?

LETS are local currencies that are forms of self-contained networks
in which members buy or sell services to other members and are
paid in the LETS currency.  In most LETS every member has an
individual account, which records their debt or credit.  Members do
not "owe" the person or business providing the service, instead
their debt is to the LETS system, and their debt is therefore
socialized.

My interest in LETS comes from my long term interest in issues of
community control over economic development (especially since
most of the community development movement/industry seems to
have moved very decidedly away from even the goal of community
control over the last couple of decades).  And a local currency
seems like a very interesting and innovative way to realize local
control over economics.  Any thoughts/ideas/data on this would be
helpful.

James DeFilippis
Housing Policy Analyst
Community Service Society of New York