query: age and activism

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Dec 13 19:12:01 CST 2002

[ed:  thanks to John, John, Jean for replying to Helen's query
(reprinted below) ]

From: "John M. Beam" <beam at fordham.edu>

Not sure how you want to approach this.  As starting point, I would
get in touch with AARP and the UAW Retirees program.   I would
guess they might actually have stats re/ their base.

John M . Beam
National Center for Schools and Communities
Fordham University
NYC

***********************************

From: "John Gaudette" <jgaudette at nwnf.org>

Karen Neilsen of the Northwest Neighborhood Federation has a
Senior Citizen community organization on the northside of
Chicago.  They take on internal issues ("asset-based" issues) like
connecting seniors to highschool students and issues like 'home-
sharing'.  They also move on systemic issues ("Alinky-based"
organizing) like forcing banks to create loan packages for seniors,
opening a senior center, and getting City money into the area for
home upgrades for recent stroke victims.

Call her at 773-545-9300.

Good Luck

John Gaudette

From: JAnyon at aol.com

The words McAdam wrote about life-span availability that I read
were in his early book, Freedom Summer. Jean Anyon