query: age and activism

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Dec 11 13:42:00 CST 2002

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with your

From: "Deines, Helen" <HDeines at spalding.edu>

I am working on a study of the causes/consequences of older
persons participating in social movement activism. I have been
surprised to find a sparce empirical foundation regarding age as a
variable in activism.

Can anyone suggest sources of wisdom?  Is there anyone with a
common interst?

Helen Deines
Associate Professor of Social Work
Spalding University
Louisville KY
hdeines at spalding.edu

[ed:  Doug McAdam has written some stuff on "biographical
availability", saying that people's ability to participate in different
forms of activism changes as they travel through the life course.
Sorry I don't have a more specific reference.]