social justice philanthropy

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Dec 10 10:42:01 CST 2002

[ed:  Margo and Kay discuss Peter's article.  His original message
is reprinted below.]

From: "Margo Menconi" <malyme at hotmail.com>

That's an interesting article by Peter Dreier.  Another relevant issue
might be that the more progressive people and organizations often
don't have as easy of access to powerful meetings and decision-
making situations.  We're relegated to the advisory role, whereas
corporations and governments have more ready access.

And with decreasing accountability and transparency (cp. the
recently passed Homeland Security Act), it's even harder to get the
scoop on what's really happening to make a stand.

Then government does some fast maneouvering with it's recent
propensity to fast-tracking things, so that activists and interested
parties don't have hardly a chance to have meaningful input.

More money would help too though.

Margo Menconi
8902 60th Avenue * Berwyn Heights, MD 20740 * USA
Phone: (301) 441-3909
E-mail:  malyme at hotmail.com

"War is an instrument entirely insufficient toward redressing wrong;
and multiplies, instead of indemnifying losses." Thomas Jefferson
(1743-1826)

From: "Kay Hannan" <drkay at elvis.com>

I'd have to agree that Peter's article was such great
reading. It affirmed many ideas I have always held
about the American scenario, and then also prompted me
to think in the same light about social policy here. I
do appreciate your list members posting leads to their
stuff on here, and hope it continues.
Kay