Organizing around September 11, 2001

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Sep 30 11:12:01 CDT 2001

[ed:  Laura's message contains some important strategy questions.]

From: "Laura McKieran" <lmckieran at vei.net>

Hi, COMM-ORG.  Randy's thoughtful editorial at the end of his last
message finally pushed me to write, although I take sole
responsibility for what follows.  This issue has been eating at my
brain for the past two weeks, but I've hesitated to articulate it
because it feels somehow disrespectful in view of the tremendous
losses suffered.  Still, it feels important to me to clear space in my
grief to ask this question of myself, and so I hope for folks' patience
and understanding as I ask it of you, too.

Lots of times we who are "multi-issue" activists and organizers get
caught in arguments about the heirarchy (for lack of a better word)
of oppression - what forms of oppression are worse?  Which groups
have the most legitimate complaint? etc.  These kinds of
comparisons among evils have always made me uncomfortable,
and now is no exception.

What I've heard a lot in the media's coverage of "the public's"
reaction to the attacks is that we as a country just cannot
comprehend that we are so hated elsewhere in the world, and
certainly *why* we're so hated.  And with all the necessary respect
and consideration due to the difference in scale and scope of the
results here in America of this particular hate-driven action, the
truth is that lots of Americans suffer the effects of hate on an
ongoing basis, and are quite aware of being hated and what
consequences that hate might have for them.  Racial minorities
come to mind right away, as do women, as do Jews, as do many
other groups.  (And at the risk of being even more provocative, it
seems easier to list the ways the actions of *America as a country*
have contributed to its being hated than it is to do the same for a
whole racial or ethnic group or gender or whatever.)

I actually find it more than a little disrespectful and offensive that all
Americans are portrayed by our own media as complacent, always
feeling all loved and protected and warm and fuzzy, when in reality
many groups are fearful/careful/aware all the time, and so many
people are injured or die every year in "bias" crimes.

Has anyone seen any examples of using this new understanding
that the "average American" (allegedly) has of what it feels like to
be afraid of being attacked because you are hated for being [insert
label here] to drive home how damaging hate and prejudice are,
especially when combined with power?  Or do y'all have a sense
that people are just too raw to make the connections, perceive the
parallels?

The only halfway-related parallel I've seen drawn in the media is a
comparison of people's attitudes about the current backlash against
Muslims and Middle-Easterners to their attitudes about racial
profiling of African-American men.  Unfortunately, it appears that
people are using the September 11 experience to
rationalize/reinforce their own perception of racial profiling as
"unfortunate, but justified."

Sorry this got so long.  I'm curious for y'all's thoughts, wisdom, and
take on strategy, particularly since there are probably 723
complexities that I've failed to take into account.

Laura