book: "Inciting Democracy"

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Sep 27 11:12:02 CDT 2001

[ed:  note that this book is available for free online in addition
to hard copy.  Thanks to Randy and the publisher for
supporting the ethic of freedom on the Internet.]

From: 	Randy Schutt <rschutt at vernalproject.org>

Please excuse me for writing this way, but I would like to bring to
your attention a book that you might find of interest.

The book is called Inciting Democracy: A Practical Proposal for
Creating a Good Society. It offers a vision of what a good society
might look like and explores how we can overcome five key obstacles
to creating such a society. It offers a practical way to develop a
large, decentralized education and support program (the Vernal
Education Project) that would bolster grassroots movements so that
people of goodwill can democratically and nonviolently transform
society. It also provides a realistic, long-term vision of success -- a
vision that can encourage people working for positive change, thus making
success more likely.

Note that the entire book can be downloaded and read for free from
the Vernal Project web site
<http://www.vernalproject.org/IcDDownload.shtml>.

Inciting Democracy home <http://www.vernalproject.org/IcD.shtml>
Summary                 <http://www.vernalproject.org/IcDSummary.shtml>
Table of Contents       <http://www.vernalproject.org/IcDToC.shtml>
Chapter Summary         <http://www.vernalproject.org/IcDChapSum.shtml>
Excerpt from Preface    <http://www.vernalproject.org/IcDPrefaceEx.shtml>
Author Biography        <http://www.vernalproject.org/AboutRandy.shtml>
Download Chapters       <http://www.vernalproject.org/IcDDownload.shtml>
Order a Copy            <http://www.vernalproject.org/IcDOrdering.shtml>

Published by SpringForward Press <http://www.springforwardpress.com>,
September 2001. 320 pages, paperback, 8 1/2" x 11". Includes 270
quotations, 233 annotated references, a bibliography of 110 other cited
works, and a comprehensive index.

----

     "Randy Schutt has written the book that we in the progressive
social change movement have been waiting for. Inciting Democracy
offers an inspiring vision and concrete action plan for pursuing
effective progressive social change. It also provides a constructive
critique of where we have been and an easily accessible analytical
framework for understanding what we face. The book is destined to become a
core and comprehensive guide for those seeking a better society, and it
will make an excellent main textbook for any course on citizen advocacy.
Thank you, Randy, for leading us to the next level of effectiveness and
organizing."
     -- Abigail Abrash, Instructor, Antioch New England Graduate School;
Program Director, New Hampshire Citizens Alliance

----

     "Randy Schutt's Inciting Democracy: A Practical Proposal for
Creating a Good Society addresses the urgent civic question of how to best
go about developing and sustaining a powerful and effective grassroots
based social change movement. Schutt offers a compelling vision of what a
"good society" might look like and how ordinary citizens can overcome five
key obstacles to creating such a social order. Very highly recommended and
informative reading for social activists and political reformers, the
engaging and provocative text is enhanced with 71 figures, 44 sidebars,
270 quotations, 166 detailed endnotes, 233 annotated references, a
bibliography of 110 cited works, and a comprehensive index."
     -- Midwest Book Review, published in the August issues of
Wisconsin Bookwatch, (p. 8, col. 2) and Internet Bookwatch
<http://www.execpc.com/~mbr/bookwatch/ibw/aug_01.htm#politicalscience>

----

     "Here's a tackle box, a tool belt, a veritable Leatherman for
doing the big job that needs doing: redeeming our society. Sure it's an
optimistic vision -- but that may be just what we need."
     -- Bill McKibben, author of The Age of Missing Information, The End
of Nature, and Hope, Human and Wild.

----

     "Randy Schutt has given shape and form to a collective vision of a
new America. Inciting Democracy draws from the core values of the Sixties
to present a new and better balanced approach to changing our world and
improving the lives of ourselves and others. Schutt backs up his call for
new initiatives and new leadership with a detailed and well thought out
strategy based on his own wide experience with the real dynamics of
personal and social change. Randy is a good listener and a perceptive
observer who has distilled his years of involvement into a book that
satisfies on many levels. Inciting Democracy describes the 21st century
approach to really creating a good society and an empowered citizenry."
     -- Bob Cooney, co-editor of The Power of the People: Active
Nonviolence in the United States

===

Please pass this message on to your colleagues who you think would
appreciate receiving it. Thanks.

Note that this is the only message I will send you about the book or the
Vernal Education Project. If you would like to receive periodic
announcements (probably one or two messages per month) describing new
developments in the Vernal Education Project, subscribe to the
Vernal-Announce list by sending a blank email to
Vernal-Announce-subscribe at topica.com:

There is also a discussion list you can join. For both lists see: