query: help with CO discussion

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Sep 18 19:42:00 CDT 2001

Hi COMM-ORG.  I am facilitating a discussion next Monday
with a CDC that wants to support community organizing in
their neighborhood.  One thing they are interested in is
different kinds of community organizing.

I have created a chart trying to show the main features and
organizer tasks of different models.  I am interested in
people's reactions to that.  I understand any division among
models is relatively artificial, but I also think there are some
important differences, especially from the perspective of a
CDC that may want to get into this.

If you have any spare time, a rough draft of the table is at:

http://coserver.sa.utoledo.edu/drafts/cotypes.htm

I am also developing a little self-assessment, so people can
get some sense of the models they may already have, so I
have a list of statements for people to consider in kind of a 5
point agree-disagree scale or something like that.  I want the
statements to correspond to what I see as the three main
models (conflict model or "c", non-conflict model or "n",
information model or "i").  I am also interested in people's
reactions to those.  It's not meant to be scientific, just
accurate enough to get people thinking and talking.  That list
of statements is at:

http://coserver.sa.utoledo.edu/drafts/coselfassess.htm

Please consider both of these very rough initial drafts, and
thanks in advance if you have any time to react to them.

Randy
moderator/editor, COMM-ORG
randy at comm-org.utoledo.edu