Organizing around September 11, 2001

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Sep 18 10:12:01 CDT 2001

[ed:  it is so heartening to see people beginning to organize
around the many issues generated from September 11.  This
message includes posts from Doug, Mary, and a forwarded
post from Jill.]

From: "Doug Hess" <DHess at frac.org>

Very quick thoughts: One thing I think many participants on
this list may want to specialized in keeping on top of,
regarding victims' needs, will be those needs of very low wage
workers and their families. Many of these workers may not
have life insurance, be here illegally, or not qualified for Food
Stamps even if they are legal immigrants, etc.  I'm sure others
can think of other needs of thousands (tens of thousands) of
low-income workers who might lose their jobs due to this
event (small businesses closing, or janitors and window
washers of large businesses laid off, etc.). Will they qualify for
special benefits as well?

FRAC is working on some research on this matter and we
hope to have something up on the web soon. If others find
materials on this angle, please let us know. If you respond to
the whole list, please CC me at dhess at frac.org so that I don't
miss it. Thanks.

Doug Hess
Senior Policy Analyst
Food Research and Action Center
1875 Connecticut Ave, NW #540
Washington, DC 20009
ph. 202-986-2200 ext 3004
fax 202-986-2525
http://www.frac.org

************************

From: "Mary S. Dailey" <NWBCCC at igc.org>

The Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition a 27
year old grassroots oranization which develops leaders
through tenant, block and congregation based organizing is
organizing one major and several small interfaith services and
disscussions to help create a climate that will deter backlash.

************************

From: "Jill Chopyak" <Chopyak at Loka.org>

This was forwarded to me, and I thought it resonated with
many of the discussions about grassroots responses to the
current crises.

Jill Chopyak
The Loka Institute

> > Many of us wesleyan students have been gathering the
past couple days
and
> dicussing tuesday's events. We are presently planning to
have a
> nationwide action next thursday (sep. 20) from 12pm-1pm to
show our
> commitment to thorough, peaceful justice, and rational
punishment
> through channels of
law
> as opposed
> to retaliatory violence.
>
> Many of us feel that the media is only dicussing reactions
which
> advocate retaliation, war and other rash measures. We want
to get in the
> media as advocates of taking the rational, compassionate
path so that
> the public
and
> government know this sentiment is highly apparant on
college campuses.

> What you can do to help us
> 1) come to thursdays action next week from 12-1
> 2) help spread the news about the action around the
campus and nation
> wide The way we are spreading this action to other
campuses is by having
wesleyan
> students e-mail their friends at other universities. If you could
> forward
the
> following message and the attached document to all you
friends that go
> to school elsewhere, that would be a huge help! (read the
document so
> you
know
> what
> you're sending)

> Dear friends,
>
> Have you been feeling helpless in light of Tuesday's events?
HELP US
> OUT. Students at Wesleyan University, CT have been
meeting the last
> couple of days to discuss the following theme:

commitment to
> THOROUGH and PEACEFUL JUSTICE, as opposed to
retaliatory violence.

> -WE KNOW that most colleges around the nation are also
having this
> discussion.   In light of the Bush administration's focus on
> retaliation,
we
> feel a DIRE
> NEED FOR THIS SENTIMENT BE HEARD.
>
> -Because of this we are calling for a NATIONWIDE ACTION
ON CAMPUSES for
> THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 20 from 12pm-1pm to show our
commitment to thorough
> and peaceful justice, as opposed to retaliatory violence.
>
>  -WE NEED YOUR HELP. The more schools involved, the
more media
> coverage we get.
> WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO HELP SET UP THIS ACTION
AT YOUR SCHOOL. Even if you
are
> personally not able or willing to organize an action, please
spend a few
> minutes to find out who at your school WOULD be willing to
and forward
this to
> them. (also forward any friend you have at other schools.
spread the
> word!!!)
>
> specifics:
>
> 1) We are in the process of setting up a web page which will
have
Wesleyan's
> statement and plan of action to use as an example, and a
list of schools
who
> are also planning actions and how to contact them. This
web page will
probably

peacefuljustice at hotmail.com
> with the info of the contact person. You can also e-mail if
you have any
> questions. We will e-mail you back ASAP.
>
> 3) The idea is to have solidarity in the time (thusday, sep 20,
> 12pm-1pm) and message of the action. What you would like
to do is up to
> each campus.
WE
> ARE RELYING ON YOU TO PLAN IT.
>
> vital things to be done when planning your action:
>
> a) Contact the media! This is of paramount importance.
Local and
> National media. Let them know about this day of action
(sep. 20) and our
> message. your school's media contact person should get in
touch with
> sarah at snorr at wesleyan.edu or 860.344.8782 to work on
coordinating
> media
messaging.

> b) make the message clear. We will be posting Wesleyan's
mission
> statement on the web page. You can adopt your own, but it
would be nice
> to have conformity on  the following issues:
>  -GLOBAL/international Peace and unity
>  -consideration of underlying reasons why/examination of
US foreign
>  policy -set a precedent of International action/our position is
>  important and consequential/ALL civil liberties need to be
enforced
>  -use rationality and compassion, not hate and haste/avoid
reliance on
> emotional manipulations
>  -do not alter the event at hand to infer a need for star wars,
>  unlimited military spending or oil drilling in arctic -the long
term
>  choice at hand is NOT only about security OR civil
> liberties, it is the opportunity for prudence and caution
based on the
> 'sanctity' of all
>  life and peaceful justice.
>  - react to the needs of the precise situation- terrorism is an
act of
>  terrorism,not an act of war/not evidence of a country's attack
>  -appropriate channels of law for those directly responsible
(reasonable
>  alternatives to war) -opposition to backlash against any
people
>  -condolences/ "correct" form of justice wanted/needed -
"injustice
>  anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK Jr.
>
>  *It is important to keep in mind, with the present state of
fear and
anger,
>  that we ARE NOT saying that the peoples responsible for
Tuesdays
> events should not be punished, but that they should be
punished
> according
> the
> channels of law. And furthermore we SHOULD NOT PUNISH
groups of innocent
> people (i.e. whole nations)for individual crimes.
>  *while we ARE against terrorism and terrorists, our focus is
on being
> anti-terror
> *include what we are doing: ie. student solidarity, voice,
opposition,
>  affirmation, and hope in your mission statement
>
> c) We feel it is also very important that we reach out and
INVOLVE EACH
> SCHOOL'S LOCAL COMMUNITY in this action.
>
> d) Involve the faculty.
>
> TIPS:
>
>  1) At Weslyan we are using Monday-Wednesday to have
smaller actions
> (tabling, speak out/music at the campus center) to inform
the campus
> about Thursday.
>
>  2) We are creating a resolution/ petition for all students to
sign.
> A goal for the future is to put pressure of the administration
to adopt
this
> resolution
>
>  3) We are setting up stations at Thursday's action where
people can
>  send
> this resolution/ petition to their individual representatives. It is
> important to
>  have addresses available:
>  **Go to www.senate.gov/contacting/index.cfm to find your
state
>  senator's address.
>
>  4)We are working on coordinating a unity symbol, such as
wearing
armbands.
>  If you have suggestions, please email us with ideas. The
final idea,
based
> on  the most popular suggestion, will appear on the website.
>
>  FINALLY
>  -Remember to let us know your school is involved by e-
mailing
>  peacefuljustice at hotmail.com
>  -Forward this to everyone you know, high schools should
be involved too