Organizing around September 11, 2001

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Sep 13 14:42:01 CDT 2001

Hello COMM-ORG.  This post contains a list policy question
to you all, and a response to the September 11 messages
posted so far.

I begin with the list policy question. I need your help on
deciding how the list should handle the September 11 tragedy.
 Messages are beginning to arrive that include statements of
reaction.  All are heartfelt and carefully composed.

My concern is, given the magnitude of this tragedy, and the
number of such messages I know are out there, we could
quickly become overwhelmed.  That, to me, would defeat the
goals of the messages to help us console and reflect.

What I would like to propose is that we use this list to focus
our thoughts and reflections on what we do best--community
organizing and its related activities.  We are witnessing acts
of violence against people of Middle-Eastern descent or
Muslim beliefs.  We are witnessing not only a feeling of
vengeance against those behind the violence of September 11,
which I share, but less-than-reflective demands for retribution
at any cost to anyone. We are witnessing a willingness to
suspend constitutional protections in hopes of recovering what
may have been a mythical sense of safety and may in the
long run make us even less safe.

We are also witnessing incredible examples of spontaneous
community organizing as ironworkers show up and demand
(successfully) entry to the WTC disaster site to help with the
rescue and recovery; as people come together across race,
religion, and ethnicity in ways they have never done before,
and as people show up to donate bood beyond the capacity of
the Red Cross to handle them.  We understand these acts no
better than we understand the acts of hate and retribution.
People everywhere are wondering what they can do and they
are packing the blood centers partly because they can't think
of what else to do.

We can help.  This list can be a place to discuss how to
organize around this tragedy.  It can be a place to identify
community organizing needs--around issues of community-
based hatred, crucial policy questions, or simply the fears that
underlie our more visceral reactions.  It can be a place to
understand the good and bad community-based expressions
we are witnessing or part of.  It can be a place to discuss
strategy to make sure whatever comes of this builds stronger
communities and a world where groups or nations of any size
or perspective no longer feel compelled to commit
unspeakable acts of violence.

If you feel it is important to post the many expressions of
reaction out there, please let me know.  I do not in any way
mean to impose my will on the list.  These are just my
thoughts, as your moderator and a list member.

In the interest of promoting some discussion of organizing
around this tragedy, I offer the message below from Rick.

From: "Rick Keller" <rkeller at edgenet.net>

What can we do in the aftermath of September 11 to work
toward breaking the cycle of violence and retribution?

How can we organize the folks who have expressed these
concerns over the last few days so that their voices become a
powerful influence in setting our national agenda?

R. Keller