Organizing around September 11, 2001

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Sep 12 20:43:48 CDT 2001

[ed:  here is some more community organizing thinking
around the tragedy of September 11.]

From: T Williams <twilliams at mtn.org>

I, too, am still in a state of shock over what happen on Sept.
11. I have a growing concern over what will be this country's
short-term and long-term responses. I'm particularly
concerned about the kind of public policies Congress and
probably many of our states will enact under the guise of
providing greater security. I have yet to see go public policy
enacted in haste follow a dramatic crises-type event. We all
can point to bad criminal justice policy growing out of heinous
criminal activity. I'm concern too that many innocent residents
of our diverse communities may be singled out for reactionary
treatment because of what they look like and what parts of the
world are their places of orgin. This may be a time to use our
community-based organizations and our community
organizing skills to help assure civility in all our communities.
Our government should not assume that our communities
dont't have anything to contribute to the resolution of some of
these issues.

T Williams