query: block programs

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Sep 4 11:42:00 CDT 2001

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with your

From: "Matthew Shapiro" <mshapiro21 at cableone.net>

Hello Community Folk,

I wanted to let you know about something we are trying to
create in our neighborhood here in Boise. It's called Block
Friends. It might in some ways sound similar to the "block
captain" concept, but it's a bit difference. It involves finding a
person on every block - corner to corner, both sides of the
street  (and there are about 700 of those in our neighborhood) -
 who is willing to (a) meet every person living on their block,
(b) communicate alerts from the neighborhood association to
residents, and (c) gain an understanding of the issues,
concerns, desires of residents and communicate those to the
association (via Block Friend Coordinators).

In addition, we will encourage the Block Friend to bring
together everyone on their block for a gathering - whether
serious or just fun - once every quarter, or even more often, if
they wish. This would probably turn out to be the most
significant part of the Block Friends program, but would take
the most time and overcoming of fear.

Is anyone out there aware of similar programs? Let me know.

Regards,

Matthew Shapiro
North End Neighborhood Association
Boise, Idaho