world AIDS day organizing

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Nov 19 18:45:36 CST 2001

[ed:  the attachment referred to in the last pargraph of this message
should be requested from Terri.]

From: "Smith-Caronia, Terri" <Smith-Caronia at housingworks.org>

World AIDS Day 2001

For the 8th Year, Housing Works will host an epic commemoration
of World AIDS Day on Saturday December 1st, and we hope that
you will once again join us as a co-sponsor or endorser of this
event.

Our World AIDS Day Commemoration pays homage to the people
that we have known and lost to AIDS. While, the new war on
terrorism has overtaken public and governmental agenda since
September 11th, the crisis of homeless and AIDS have not
stopped. The 2001 World AIDS Day Commemoration will remind
our elected officials and all other New Yorkers that people with
AIDS are dying right here in New York and around the world from
lack of adequate housing and care. Because of the events of
September 11th we have had to move our event from City Hall
Park to Harlem State Office Building, 163 West 125th Street @
Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. Boulevard. The event will begin at
midnight with a lone reader at a microphone in the plaza of the
Harlem State Office Building, reciting the names of people who
have died with AIDS. At dawn, four more readers will gradually join
in until five voices are intermingling, suggesting the overwhelming
devastation of our communities.

For past eight years we have held a 24-hour vigil in City Hall Park
with the theme, 'Tell the Mayor People with AIDS are Dying.' This
year as a new mayor and many new City Council members come
into office, we here at Housing Works have decided to broaden the
focus of our World AIDS Day Commemoration to bring attention to
devastating impact of AIDS across the city, country and the world.
This year we will 'Tell the World: People with AIDS are Still Dying.'
Worldwide an estimated 36.1 million people are living with HIV.
Last year, 3 million people died with AIDS and 21.8 million people
have been lost since the epidemic began. In the United States,
there are over 317,000 registered cases of AIDS. New York City is
the ground zero, not only for the tragedy of September 11th, but
also for AIDS epidemic in the United States. Over 42,000 New
Yorkers are living with AIDS today, many thousands more have
HIV.

We invite you to join us for a World AIDS Day Commemoration
that New Yorkers cannot ignore and will not easily forget. There are
several ways your organization can be involved.

*	Sponsor: We ask that organizations wishing to co-sponsor
the event donate $500 to help defray the costs, commit people to
read names for a block of time, and collect names to be read and
photographs to be displayed. If possible we also hope that your
organization would invite people to the march and rally.

*	Endorser: We are asking endorsers to cover a block of
reading time and to gather names to be read and photographs to be
displayed.

We envision the Vigil to be an opportunity to unite many
organizations and individuals who are fighting the twin epidemics of
AIDS and apathy, but we encourage every participating
organization to do an independent action as well.

Attached is a list soliciting names to be read at the vigil; please feel
free to distribute copies to your staff, clients and friends. For more
information call Delia Yarrow at (212) 966-0466 ext. 1120 or e-mail
me at yarrow at housingworks.org.

terri smith-caronia
Director, NYC Policy
Housing Works NYC Advocacy Department