ACORN and 9-11

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Nov 13 15:12:02 CST 2001

[ed:  those of you concerned about whether community organizing
can and should continue on its pre 9-11 courses will find this letter
to the editor (reprinted with permission) of interest.]

From: "John M. Beam" <beam at fordham.edu>

Here is a recent letter published in the City Paper last week.

Back to the Barricades

We at the Association of Community Organizations for Reform
Now (ACORN) want to respond to Ed Rothstein's letter about the
"softening" of our tactics in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist
attacks (The Mail, Oct. 17): We couldn't agree more. Mitch Klein's
comments, quoted in the Sept. 26 Nose article, were meant to
reflect a temporary situation--we, like most Americans, were
shocked by the attacks and forced to evaluate our place. But we
also believe that there are thousands of other victims with
overlooked and less sensational stories that are tragedies
nonetheless.

They are the children of Baltimore without a decent education or
library; they are the low-wage workers who never see the benefits
of their tax dollars; and they are the homeowners stripped of the
equity--and sometimes their homes--by predatory lenders. And as
our president suggested, we decided to get back to our daily
business. For us that means fighting for social justice.

So when Mayor O'Malley decided to "honor" Household Financial,
one of the nation's largest and most notorious predatory lenders,
we disrupted his back-slapping party with a group of 75 angry inner-
city residents who were fed up with this lender's practices. After
our chanting disrupted the $75-a-plate dinner, we were asked to
leave under police supervision. As we peacefully left the scene, we
discovered that the police had penned in our buses and were
threatening our members with arrest--community residents, senior
citizens, and children who had simply tried to exercise their
constitutional right to free speech and public assembly.

We don't know whether the police acted on orders from the mayor,
but we wouldn't be surprised. With his popularity quickly
disappearing among community and religious organizations,
O'Malley has used a heinous act of terrorism to ignore or discredit
any  criticism. Look at the hypocrisy in his aide's comment
concerning Baltimoreans United in Leadership Development public
rally critical of the mayor (quoted in The Sun), that he was
surprised that BUILD could even think of politics at a time like this.
Meanwhile, the mayor has played politics at full tilt, trying to raise
his nationwide profile while ignoring the needs of average citizens.

The predatory lenders have also gone back to their daily business:
ripping off Baltimore's homeowners. We need to get back to work
fighting for people's rights. In this new post-9/11 era, we all need to
remember that what keeps this country great is our constitutional
rights to assembly and freedom of speech--not unthinking
dedication to our leaders. ACORN has always been committed to
nonviolence, and we  shudder to see the authorities use this
national crisis to intimidate and censor any and all criticism.

                     Norma Washington
                     President, Maryland ACORN

                     Baltimore