query: cell phones and organizing

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Nov 7 19:42:00 CST 2001

[ed: Kathleen and Larry broaden the cell phone discussion.]

From: "Staudt, Kathleen" <kstaudt at utep.edu>

Rather than get caught up in the type of telephone technology, I'd
simply
urge people to answer and return phone calls in a timely way.  It's
amazing
how many people do not bother to return calls, in what seems like a
hierarchical warp or a confused way to right old wrongs.  For people
who've
taken the step to call and leave messages, an unreturned call is a
slap of
disrespect and a sure way to undermine relationship- and coalition-
building.
Whatever type of phone you have, please show common courtesy
and dignity to
the caller who has left a message with a returned call!  Kathy
Kathleen Staudt, Director
Center for Civic Engagement
Professor of Political Science
University of Texas at El Paso
El Paso, TX  79968
915-747-7975
FAX 915-747-5400

*******************************

From: Larry Yates <lyates at chej.org>

sorry to come in late on this.

There's another piece to the cell phone discussion -- the impact on
our health and our communities of the infrastructure used by this
technology.

Of course, organizers are part of society, and we will join in, and
sometimes benefit from, every social and social-technological
trend. As a result, there are some great cell phone anecdotes, and I
appreciated geting them on comm-org. But we should be aware of
the system behind the tool.

Cell phones, like computers, are organized in systems in ways thar
are profitable for the corporations who control the process. We can
use cell phones, the Web, etc., and at the same time be aware of
and support efforts to transform these systems so that they do
much less harm and are accountable to the public interest. (Many
of us support open source software, while others, like the Silicon
Valley Toxics Coalition, are opposing the environmental damage
implicit in computers as we know them.)

The cell phone industry and related wireless efforts are spending
enormous sums to stifle discussion of evidence of serious health
effects, both from personal cell phone use and from electro-
magnetic radiation from cell towers and similar facilities. Perhaps a
more immediate problem for community organizers, the cell phone
industry has succeeded in getting federal legislation which makes it
extraordinarily difficult to stop a cell tower from going in -- a very
bad precedent for local democracy. (Communities do still beat
towers, but the deck is stacked against them even more than
usual.)

Here at CHEJ we have worked with several communities trying to
deal with cell towers located or planned in immediate proximity to
schools. We believe it's pretty serious when communities can't
decide for themselves what their own children are exposed to. We
think communities ought to have the right in these matters to follow
the precautionary principle -- that is, to prevent the building or
operation of facilities where there is some reasonable evidence of
harm, rather than wait until there's a body count. (The elementary
organizing analogy is that you shouldn't need to have a kid killed at
an intersection before the community can get a stop sign. The big
difference is that in this case, when the kid gets hit, it can take
decades for the injury, such as cancer, to show up.)

There has been little public debate about whether cell phones as
we know them are the right technology organized in the right way
for everyone's benefit. Enormous fortunes have been made on the
current system -- my state, Virginia, just elected a governor whose
millions came from obscure cell phone related deals. But the
people have not yet weighed in -- or even been clued in.

For more on health effects and on organizing and political issues
related to these matters, the best place I know to go is the Electro-
Magnetic Radiation Network at http://www.emrnetwork.org/  The
Network operates on a shoestring, but does a great job as a
clearinghouse and information resource for grassroots activists on
this issue. I send people to them all the time.

Larry
--
Larry Yates
Organizer
lyates at chej.org
http://www.chej.org
-----------------------------
For information on PCBs, go to
http://www.ipen.org/pcb_workinggroup.htm

The Center for Health, Environment and Justice was founded in
1981 by Lois Marie Gibbs, leader of the Love Canal effort. CHEJ
assists local people to become empowered to protect their
communities from environmental threats. We are supported in part
by our membership. If you are interested in joining or contributing
to CHEJ, membership dues are $30 per year. You'll receive our
quarterly magazine, Everyone's Backyard.