query: cell phones and organizing

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Nov 5 22:12:00 CST 2001

[ed:  thanks to Margo and David for the further thoughts on cell
phones and organizing.  A can't resist comment from me at the
end.]

From: "MARGO MENCONI" <malyme at hotmail.com>

Whether cell phones are elitist or not depends on the context.  I
believe it was World Press Review had a special issue not long ago
on the digital divide.  I was surprised that some countries in Africa
are getting more and more cell phones, including owned by poor
people.  I guess in those placeplaces, it's a lot cheaper, more
accessible and reliable than other forms of communication,
including e-mail!  I guess they could use cell phones for organizing
in such places.

Margo Menconi

********************

From: "David Haschka, S.J." <dhaschka at jesuit.org>

Only a Minnesotan would worry about such a question. I was
involved in CO in St. Paul in the late 90ies and all the professional
organizers had wireless phones -- but they kept them carefully
hidden in purses and briefcases. By now, I would think: any
organizer, pro or volunteer, who didn't prominently display at least
one wireless device would be one with a serious self-esteem
problem.

I live and work in DC now ("the district" to us insiders.) Here the
street beggars carry wireless phones. In fact, the only people who
don't carry wireless phones are the really rich and/or powerful who
have their body-guards or personnel aides handle such pedestrian
matters as phone calls.

I do remember a community leader in Saint Paul who drove to
meetings and actions in her husbands big red Cadillac Sedan
Deville. Now that was embarrassingly!

[ed:  as someone who still claims to be from Minneapolis regardless
of where I actually now live, my favorite Minnesotaism is when you
ask someone how the play was and, rather than saying it stunk, we
say noncommitally "it was interesting."  It makes organizing a
challenge because getting people riled up can be half the battle.]